(Gatsby has)“..paid a high price for living too long with a single dream.“
- high price – death
- life with daisy
- implies that Gatsby never had any other goals
“..shivered as he found what a grotesque thing a rose is.
- ugly / disgusting
- link (via the flower) to daisy
- A rose has thorns that can prick ad hurt you but when you first look at it all you see is its beauty and perfection. Daisy is the same. Gatsby sees her beauty and perfection and only at the last moment realises that she is damaging and dangerous she is not what she seems
“A new world, material without being real, where poor ghosts, breathing dreams like air, drifted fortuitously about . . .”
- the idea or illusion of being with daisy are essential for life for Gatsby. its as important as oxygen
- Gatsby creates this new persona at 17
- full of “things” , His life is there but it is also not , he became Jay Gatsby and created a life, home ect, that goes with it but it was never real it was all and illusion.
- refers to Gatsbys past haunting him ,
- he was never truly living so he was always a ghost to the real world.