An ideal that all humans should have equal opportunity to pursue happiness and success
“The American dream is that dream of a land where life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement” -James Truslow Adams
American dream settings
East egg – These people are born into “the dream”. False
West egg – These people “bootleg” their way to the top but never fully accepted into the elite social group. Corrupt
Valley of Ashes – These people work hard but they never make out of poverty. The dream constantly fails them. Failed
New york – illusion of the dream, place to escape reality
“Her Voice is full of money…. that was it. I’d never understood before. It was full of money-that was the inexhaustible charm that rose and fell in it, the jingle of it , the cymbals song if it… high in a white palace the kings daughter the golden girl…”
- Attractive – money is attractive.
- Money sounds like…. high society, posh, confident, vocabulary.
- She embodies everything that comes with wealth.
- Daisy has lots of money, and just does what she wants, but what she wants isn’t that much or she doesn’t actually do what she wants.
- you never get tired of it/ it never runs out of charm.
- advertisement have jingles.
- The jingle draws you in, like Daisy’s voice draws you in.
- You hit it and it makes a crashing noise.
- Take a second look musical instrument? or just crashing sound creator.
- Daisys colour = White
- Palace is a symbol of Wealth
This is when we find out exactly why Gatsby is so in love with Daisy. She represents money, plain and simple. ‘Jingle’ and ‘cymbals’ suggest almost that her voice is a taunting advertisement for the wealthy lifestyle that Gatsby so desires. She never knew what it meant to want something because she would always get it, and this is unconsciously conveyed by the lilt of her voice. Nick is half-consciously figuring out what’s so elusive and magnetic about the quality of Daisy’s voice, but Gatsby grasps it intuitively. – https://genius.com/1741470
Allusion – An expression designed to call something to mind without mentioning it explicitly; an indirect or passing reference.
Oxymoron – a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ).
Nick : Narrator
- non-judgemental – “Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.” pg 1
- People Frequently open up to him and he is bored of this and thinks its shallow. –Most of the confidences were unsoughtfrequently I have feigned sleep, preoccupation, or a hostile levity when I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was quivering on the horizon; pg1
“If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him.”
- What your like, How you act, Your morals/values , How people view you as a human being.
- Something continuous, Things that come one after another linking together.
- Constant, Whole
- Movement , “make a gesture towards someone”
- unbroken success – normal people make mistakes
Act 1 Scene 5 –Line 144
“And she steal love’s sweet bait from fearful hooks”
in the shakespear sonnet there is a line thata says “And she steal love’s sweet bait from fearful hooks” thsi is a metaphore meaning that her love for romeo is like a fish stealing bait from a hook – the closer she/the fish gets the more dangerous it becomes.
“Now old desire doth in his death-bed lie”
The Boat Man
I saw her cross the bridge, rumor has it she has a new lover. Days pass and I still see her cross every morning. On the 17th morning after she had crossed a soldier came and stood on the bridge stopping everyone trying to cross. the message came saying that her husband was returning home. she tried to cross the bridge to get home before he did. I watch as she argues with a soldier, then she runs off to me. As she approche I remember my own wife and children i need the money to feed and look after them. the price was to expensive for her. she runs away and i watch her running across the bridge again, but this time drops just before she reaches land.